- 8-10 young leeks
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 can great northern beans, rinsed
- 1 can diced tomato, diced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup barley
- 1 bunch kale (complements of dear friend Evan)
- 2 potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- enough chicken stock (or veggie or water)
- oregano, sage, basil, salt, pepper
Chop and wash vegetables. Leeks are super sandy–take extra care to give them a few baths in a large bowl until their bath water runs clear.
I am using chicken stock (Swanson’s, from a can) that I co-mingled and simmered with water and the carcass from last week’s roasted chicken. I will strain the bits and pieces from the pot and use the liquid for the soup.
Saute vegetables for awhile–add barley and potato; tomatoes and beans– cover with sufficient stock, and season.
It’s done when the barley is tender.
(most recipes call for pasta, but the barley was calling to me from the depths of my cabinet.)